Demos
I finally caved and bought a PS3. A while ago actually.
Cuz the Sony fucktards have gotten rid of backwards compatibility and I needed to snag one that could still play PS2 games before they all disappeared.
Fucking Sony.
But I am digging on the PS3. It is a nice pice of kit. Blu Rays look nice. The games look great too. I'll have to talk about the big games I've been playing. GTA4, Orange Box and such.
But the reason I am writing right now is to praise the demos. Man do I love demos. And the online only games. I've filled up half my hard drive already. Our Internet provider is kinda pissed of at me.
So let us talk about all the stuff on my hard drive. Because I probably won't be touching any of this great stuff after next week. Little Big Planet and Rock Band 2 y'all!!!!
Let's start with the crap. I really did not like Elefunk or whatever the hell it is called. It looks fairly crap, doesn't sound all the great, the non-animated cut scenes are seizure inducing and just plain was not fun. I deleted it.
I also deleted Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia. I had read a bit about this game in some magazines and it made me hopeful. A Zombies Ate My Neighbour for the aughts. But no. God no. This game pissed me off. They got everything wrong. They were going for some kind of stylized comic book look for this game. But the 'style' of the stylization is just ugly. And it gets uglier when transferred to polygonal form. The writing in this game easily matched its visuals. The sound in this game, from the music to the acting seems about as inspired as the programmers. Just a terrible demo. It may have been more fun with another player or two, but I wouldn't want to subject my friends to that shit. But that's just me. Play magazine loved it. I wish I could love crap too. It would make my life much less aggravating.
I deleted one other game, but not because it was crap, but because I went out and bought it. Conan. And I was not disappointed with my purchase. The demo was a great distillation of the game. It is basically a portion of the second level of the game. It starts off with an unskipable cutscene. Said scene shows off the slightly chunky graphics married to imperfect lip synch. Starring Ron Perlman as the voice Conan! And the reading of "Get to the ship!" just tickles me somehow.
The gameplay is a lot like the graphics, chunky and a little sloppy, but charmingly so. Conan is a god damn barbarian! This game is worthy of his name, it goes in there and gets the job done, to hell with it being pretty. I enjoy the hell out of B movies, and this demo showed me that Conan is a great B game.
There are a few demos that I need to try again because they just didn't grab the first few times I tried them.
Resistance just seems too hard. Headshots seemed to do nothing and then enemies that could fire through walls showed up. The game looked and sounded nice, but the gameplay just wasn't there for me. Kelley tells me the actual game is a lot better. So this demo fails and fails hard in making me want to go out and buy the game. Or maybe K's taste in games is about as discerning as his taste in movies.
Condemned 2 also just didn't grab me. It was just an ugly experience. I know it was trying to present an ugly worldview, but it just turned me off. I only played it the once tho, so I'll report back if I end up changing my mind after another try or two.
The Darkness was not as dark or grim as Condemned 2, but I enjoyed it a lot more. The Darkness powers were fun to mess around with. Everything looked a bit to plastic-y, but that is the only real nit I could pick.
I'll have to give the Siren demo another spin. I liked the atmosphere, it was freaky and creepy and such. Both the audio and visuals. But then I died. And didn't retry.
I tried The Simpson demo a few times and enjoyed it every time. I enjoyed the humour. I found the controls and camera a bit loose and floaty. Except for Barts glide move - that didn't feel floaty enough. If this game ever hits the magic 20 buck barrier I'll snatch it up.
The Facebreaker demo was interesting. Thanks to it, I found out that the web camera I use with my laptop is not recognized by mt Playstation. Which is too bad because you can map your face onto your created boxer. Even in this demo. Which is nice. The game is nice all around. It's got that EA polish. Looks good. Sounds good. Too many menus needing too many button presses to get through What is it with EA and unintuitive front ends? They like to place as much between the gamer and the game as possible. And the game in this case is probably not what you expect. There has not been a boxing game quite like this one. It is total arcade action with a touch of rock paper scissors thrown in. It's all about getting the big combos, but the bigger the combo, the more greater the chance that your opponent can pull a reversal. Fun stuff, if a bit mindless.
Speaking of mindless, I just remembered a deleted demo that slipped my mind. Def Jam: Icon. This game made me sad. What the hell happened to Aki? They developed the first Def Jam game. They also also developed the second one, but an outside hand could be felt in that one. They are nowhere to be found in this game which is why this game is nowhere to be found on my hard drive. I liked the idea behind the game, but it didn't work.
Is Aki dead? If not, why are they not making wrestling games anymore? Release any of their N64 games on the virtual console and you have a guaranteed sale. A double sale if you also release it on the DS. Fuck I love those games.
I also love PixelJunk games. I demoed Monsters and Eden and bought both of them. I'm enjoying Eden more, but do not regret either purchase. They are great examples of how games don't have to be photorealistic or graphically intensive in any way to be awesome. I am most impressed with how different these games are yet you can tell that they come from the same company.
What the hell else have I downloaded?
Pure is gorgeous. And a breeze to pick up and play. The massive air in this game gave me a bit of vertigo.
My wife did not like the Bioshok demo. She thought it looked cheap, or like a student project. I disagreed.
What the hell else?
Bionic Commando! This is the demo/game that made me sign up to the Playstation store. This game had me from the opening cinema. The music... THE MUSIC! GAH! EVERYTHING!!! This is the perfect retro remake. It loves the old game as much as I do, and tries so so hard to make sure this new generation will love it too. I love this game.
Fuck it, I'll just post this now and then go check the PS3 when I go home to figure out which games I've missed. But just to quickly review: PixelJunk games are great and Bionic Commando is Awesome!
Cuz the Sony fucktards have gotten rid of backwards compatibility and I needed to snag one that could still play PS2 games before they all disappeared.
Fucking Sony.
But I am digging on the PS3. It is a nice pice of kit. Blu Rays look nice. The games look great too. I'll have to talk about the big games I've been playing. GTA4, Orange Box and such.
But the reason I am writing right now is to praise the demos. Man do I love demos. And the online only games. I've filled up half my hard drive already. Our Internet provider is kinda pissed of at me.
So let us talk about all the stuff on my hard drive. Because I probably won't be touching any of this great stuff after next week. Little Big Planet and Rock Band 2 y'all!!!!
Let's start with the crap. I really did not like Elefunk or whatever the hell it is called. It looks fairly crap, doesn't sound all the great, the non-animated cut scenes are seizure inducing and just plain was not fun. I deleted it.
I also deleted Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia. I had read a bit about this game in some magazines and it made me hopeful. A Zombies Ate My Neighbour for the aughts. But no. God no. This game pissed me off. They got everything wrong. They were going for some kind of stylized comic book look for this game. But the 'style' of the stylization is just ugly. And it gets uglier when transferred to polygonal form. The writing in this game easily matched its visuals. The sound in this game, from the music to the acting seems about as inspired as the programmers. Just a terrible demo. It may have been more fun with another player or two, but I wouldn't want to subject my friends to that shit. But that's just me. Play magazine loved it. I wish I could love crap too. It would make my life much less aggravating.
I deleted one other game, but not because it was crap, but because I went out and bought it. Conan. And I was not disappointed with my purchase. The demo was a great distillation of the game. It is basically a portion of the second level of the game. It starts off with an unskipable cutscene. Said scene shows off the slightly chunky graphics married to imperfect lip synch. Starring Ron Perlman as the voice Conan! And the reading of "Get to the ship!" just tickles me somehow.
The gameplay is a lot like the graphics, chunky and a little sloppy, but charmingly so. Conan is a god damn barbarian! This game is worthy of his name, it goes in there and gets the job done, to hell with it being pretty. I enjoy the hell out of B movies, and this demo showed me that Conan is a great B game.
There are a few demos that I need to try again because they just didn't grab the first few times I tried them.
Resistance just seems too hard. Headshots seemed to do nothing and then enemies that could fire through walls showed up. The game looked and sounded nice, but the gameplay just wasn't there for me. Kelley tells me the actual game is a lot better. So this demo fails and fails hard in making me want to go out and buy the game. Or maybe K's taste in games is about as discerning as his taste in movies.
Condemned 2 also just didn't grab me. It was just an ugly experience. I know it was trying to present an ugly worldview, but it just turned me off. I only played it the once tho, so I'll report back if I end up changing my mind after another try or two.
The Darkness was not as dark or grim as Condemned 2, but I enjoyed it a lot more. The Darkness powers were fun to mess around with. Everything looked a bit to plastic-y, but that is the only real nit I could pick.
I'll have to give the Siren demo another spin. I liked the atmosphere, it was freaky and creepy and such. Both the audio and visuals. But then I died. And didn't retry.
I tried The Simpson demo a few times and enjoyed it every time. I enjoyed the humour. I found the controls and camera a bit loose and floaty. Except for Barts glide move - that didn't feel floaty enough. If this game ever hits the magic 20 buck barrier I'll snatch it up.
The Facebreaker demo was interesting. Thanks to it, I found out that the web camera I use with my laptop is not recognized by mt Playstation. Which is too bad because you can map your face onto your created boxer. Even in this demo. Which is nice. The game is nice all around. It's got that EA polish. Looks good. Sounds good. Too many menus needing too many button presses to get through What is it with EA and unintuitive front ends? They like to place as much between the gamer and the game as possible. And the game in this case is probably not what you expect. There has not been a boxing game quite like this one. It is total arcade action with a touch of rock paper scissors thrown in. It's all about getting the big combos, but the bigger the combo, the more greater the chance that your opponent can pull a reversal. Fun stuff, if a bit mindless.
Speaking of mindless, I just remembered a deleted demo that slipped my mind. Def Jam: Icon. This game made me sad. What the hell happened to Aki? They developed the first Def Jam game. They also also developed the second one, but an outside hand could be felt in that one. They are nowhere to be found in this game which is why this game is nowhere to be found on my hard drive. I liked the idea behind the game, but it didn't work.
Is Aki dead? If not, why are they not making wrestling games anymore? Release any of their N64 games on the virtual console and you have a guaranteed sale. A double sale if you also release it on the DS. Fuck I love those games.
I also love PixelJunk games. I demoed Monsters and Eden and bought both of them. I'm enjoying Eden more, but do not regret either purchase. They are great examples of how games don't have to be photorealistic or graphically intensive in any way to be awesome. I am most impressed with how different these games are yet you can tell that they come from the same company.
What the hell else have I downloaded?
Pure is gorgeous. And a breeze to pick up and play. The massive air in this game gave me a bit of vertigo.
My wife did not like the Bioshok demo. She thought it looked cheap, or like a student project. I disagreed.
What the hell else?
Bionic Commando! This is the demo/game that made me sign up to the Playstation store. This game had me from the opening cinema. The music... THE MUSIC! GAH! EVERYTHING!!! This is the perfect retro remake. It loves the old game as much as I do, and tries so so hard to make sure this new generation will love it too. I love this game.
Fuck it, I'll just post this now and then go check the PS3 when I go home to figure out which games I've missed. But just to quickly review: PixelJunk games are great and Bionic Commando is Awesome!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home