King to tha K-Ong
I'm tired and sick and not all that happy a chappy, so I'll just talk about one game. And other little bits and pieces that pertain, somewhat, to that one game.
I played King Kong on both the 360 and the PS2. I'm conflicted. I know that it has been lovingly crafted by the creator of Beyond Good and Evil. And I truly dug Beyond Good and Evil. As did Peter Jackson, as he hand picked the dude. But still, the game has issues.
Let's get the technical stuff out of the way first.
A lot of jack asses have been saying that 360 games don't look that much better than normal XBox games. The ones I saw at the Festa make me think whoever said this is full of shit. The games look great. This game looks great. For the most part. The lighting effects, water effects, all the effects look purty. But the animation looks a bit choppy. No one I talked to was all that impressed by the animation. And sometimes, and this may well have just been the monitor not being set up properly, everything looked way too damn dark.
The control was decent. I figured out what needed to be done and how to do it in fairly short order. But I never felt I was in full control. During the Kong segment. The Jack segments... meh. When Kong has to fight 2 Rexes, I never felt that my success was due to skill. That ain't cool. It was all button mashy jammy bastarding. When I finally won, I felt no sense of accomplishment.
I never won the Jack segment. I didn't die, I just couldn't figure out what to do. I'm sure there was some kind of audio cue, but you can't hear much in such a loud environment. If you dig. So I just walked away from the demo kiosk. I'm not so sure I like the whole first person shooter where your shooting ain't all that effective. I like the concept, but I ain't sold on the execution.
That kinda sums up my whole experience with the game. I want to like the game. And I kinda did, just not near as much as I would have thought.
More stuff: the PS2 version is a joke. I kept checking to see if it was running on a PS1. So ugly, so blocky, so lo res. Yuck.
But... BUT... the loading times on the 360 version are retarded. I can see why Nintendo ain't sold on HD. If it takes this long to load, it ain't worth it. Seriously. I thought I had broken the demo unit, it took so long to load. Easily half a minute. That is so far from cool... I can't even think of a funny thing to say. It was horrible. None of the other demos had this problem, but they only had one mode on display. In Kong you could choose between Jack and Kong.
I really hope that loading crap ain't how most games end up playing. Cuz I won't stand for it. I swear to God.
I played King Kong on both the 360 and the PS2. I'm conflicted. I know that it has been lovingly crafted by the creator of Beyond Good and Evil. And I truly dug Beyond Good and Evil. As did Peter Jackson, as he hand picked the dude. But still, the game has issues.
Let's get the technical stuff out of the way first.
A lot of jack asses have been saying that 360 games don't look that much better than normal XBox games. The ones I saw at the Festa make me think whoever said this is full of shit. The games look great. This game looks great. For the most part. The lighting effects, water effects, all the effects look purty. But the animation looks a bit choppy. No one I talked to was all that impressed by the animation. And sometimes, and this may well have just been the monitor not being set up properly, everything looked way too damn dark.
The control was decent. I figured out what needed to be done and how to do it in fairly short order. But I never felt I was in full control. During the Kong segment. The Jack segments... meh. When Kong has to fight 2 Rexes, I never felt that my success was due to skill. That ain't cool. It was all button mashy jammy bastarding. When I finally won, I felt no sense of accomplishment.
I never won the Jack segment. I didn't die, I just couldn't figure out what to do. I'm sure there was some kind of audio cue, but you can't hear much in such a loud environment. If you dig. So I just walked away from the demo kiosk. I'm not so sure I like the whole first person shooter where your shooting ain't all that effective. I like the concept, but I ain't sold on the execution.
That kinda sums up my whole experience with the game. I want to like the game. And I kinda did, just not near as much as I would have thought.
More stuff: the PS2 version is a joke. I kept checking to see if it was running on a PS1. So ugly, so blocky, so lo res. Yuck.
But... BUT... the loading times on the 360 version are retarded. I can see why Nintendo ain't sold on HD. If it takes this long to load, it ain't worth it. Seriously. I thought I had broken the demo unit, it took so long to load. Easily half a minute. That is so far from cool... I can't even think of a funny thing to say. It was horrible. None of the other demos had this problem, but they only had one mode on display. In Kong you could choose between Jack and Kong.
I really hope that loading crap ain't how most games end up playing. Cuz I won't stand for it. I swear to God.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home