Third Game Beated of the Year
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood is a better game than Assassin's Creed 2, but it isn't the leap that 2 was from the original. So while it may be the better game it was not as impressive an experience.
The graphics and the sound are basically the same as the last game, which is to say still pretty darn impressive. But there ain't much here that's new from an audio/video standpoint. The game has been tweaked and buffed up a bit. Instead of just improving your villa, you spruce up all of frickin Rome. Spruce it up and fill it with your own army of deadly assassins. I love my assassins. Don't feel like fighting those guards or chasing that dude? At the touch of a button one (or more) of your killer cadre will pop out of a haystack or doorway or just fall from the damn sky to gank whatever fool you deem worthy of a ganking. And there are new stabby slashy killy animations.
Plus you can now combo your kill: time your counters right and your can take out an army in a matter of second. That feels good. The actual gameplay feels about as good as the previous games. So it feels great until your dude takes a bad jump at a weird angle or you get hit cuz the camera was being a spaz. But the combat and platforming imperfections are brought into sharp relief in the training arenas. I think these training challenges were made by people who hate Assassin's Creed. And after playing through only a couple of these things I was apt to agree. A bad addition that I would not miss if were to never reappear in future instalments. Or they could make them not suck ass. Whichever.
The story picks up right after the end of the last game. Right after. I don't know if playing this game without first playing the previous one would be a wise idea. The game assumes you have, both from a narrative and gameplay level.
This game also starts out a bit slow. I recommend just powering through the story until you have a few assassins recruited.
I also getting at least one of your recruits leveled up as quick as possible. You send your recruits off around Europe doing various assassin-y things. There are now mini-games or anything, it's purely a numbers game. But once you have one level 10 assassin, you can pair him/her up with a level 1 so the level one dude can tackle stuff way above his experience level. One of my Assassins jumped from level 1 to level 6.
That was me getting sidetracked. Which happened to me all the damn time in this game. I'd be on my way to start a mission, but then I would stop to help out a whore in need, and while I was doing that I would go and grab some flags, feathers and treasure. Then my assassins would get back from Russia or Paris or wherever and I'd have to figure out where to send them next, and then I'd by some ruins or an art shop or something. But sometimes you can't buy these things, because they are under control of the Borgia (the main baddies of this game, along with the Templars. And the French), so then I'd have to go killerate a Borgia general and blow up his shit.
Lots to see and do in this game.
Including online multiplayer which I am not going to include in this review cuz I haven't touched it at all.
But this is a great game worthy of a purchase even if you never touch the online. And I guess that is about that.
The graphics and the sound are basically the same as the last game, which is to say still pretty darn impressive. But there ain't much here that's new from an audio/video standpoint. The game has been tweaked and buffed up a bit. Instead of just improving your villa, you spruce up all of frickin Rome. Spruce it up and fill it with your own army of deadly assassins. I love my assassins. Don't feel like fighting those guards or chasing that dude? At the touch of a button one (or more) of your killer cadre will pop out of a haystack or doorway or just fall from the damn sky to gank whatever fool you deem worthy of a ganking. And there are new stabby slashy killy animations.
Plus you can now combo your kill: time your counters right and your can take out an army in a matter of second. That feels good. The actual gameplay feels about as good as the previous games. So it feels great until your dude takes a bad jump at a weird angle or you get hit cuz the camera was being a spaz. But the combat and platforming imperfections are brought into sharp relief in the training arenas. I think these training challenges were made by people who hate Assassin's Creed. And after playing through only a couple of these things I was apt to agree. A bad addition that I would not miss if were to never reappear in future instalments. Or they could make them not suck ass. Whichever.
The story picks up right after the end of the last game. Right after. I don't know if playing this game without first playing the previous one would be a wise idea. The game assumes you have, both from a narrative and gameplay level.
This game also starts out a bit slow. I recommend just powering through the story until you have a few assassins recruited.
I also getting at least one of your recruits leveled up as quick as possible. You send your recruits off around Europe doing various assassin-y things. There are now mini-games or anything, it's purely a numbers game. But once you have one level 10 assassin, you can pair him/her up with a level 1 so the level one dude can tackle stuff way above his experience level. One of my Assassins jumped from level 1 to level 6.
That was me getting sidetracked. Which happened to me all the damn time in this game. I'd be on my way to start a mission, but then I would stop to help out a whore in need, and while I was doing that I would go and grab some flags, feathers and treasure. Then my assassins would get back from Russia or Paris or wherever and I'd have to figure out where to send them next, and then I'd by some ruins or an art shop or something. But sometimes you can't buy these things, because they are under control of the Borgia (the main baddies of this game, along with the Templars. And the French), so then I'd have to go killerate a Borgia general and blow up his shit.
Lots to see and do in this game.
Including online multiplayer which I am not going to include in this review cuz I haven't touched it at all.
But this is a great game worthy of a purchase even if you never touch the online. And I guess that is about that.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home