wibp
Still not a lot of Punch Out!! Mainly cuz I lent it to Kelley.
But I have been boxing. The Fight Night demo is pretty keen. But... I know they are proud of the fact that this is a boxing sim... but I want to knock someone out. I kept playing the three round demo. Sometimes punching myself goofy, other times dodging and weaving and counter punching like a mother fucker. Don't think I ever got close to knocking a dude out.
Unlike the UFC demo where I once knocked a guy out in three punches.
All the trailers for Fight Night show off the close up knock out punches, but the demo hides all that from you. I played Fight Night 1 and 2 and know that those two have insta-knockouts. I have read that this one does as well, but nothing I did triggered it. Even when I went into 2 player and just beat the shit out of a defenseless player 2.
So that was a bit disappointing.
As was the ending to inFAMOUS (or however the fuck you're supposed to spell it). I played through as a good guy, so I've only seen the good ending. It was not a good ending.
Before beating the game I thought that it was a cliched story awkwardly told. Now I know that it is a stupid and cliche story shittily told. The ending just left me cold. The ending drove me to playing Bionic Commando.
Bionic Commando is a fantastic game trapped in a shitty engine.
Not that this game looks bad. This game looks great. It sounds fantastic. And it plays the way Bionic Commando should. It is full of great little touches: it starts with the classic Capcom logo (and associated sound effect) but brings it into the third dimension, the classic theme plays under the title screen but played slowly on just a piano, the theme music gets more and more muffled as you go deeper throught the menus, the hidden icons are all 8 bit icons, and they reflect off of the environment around them.
And this just happened to me today: I met a boss and Nathan 'Rad' Spencer remarked, "Is that a really long health bar or are you just happy to see me?"
Funny. Then there was an exchange between me and Super Joe that went a bit like this:
"There's no way out, you'll have to fight"
"Just the way I like it."
I died. And was treated to an exchange that went like this:
"There's no way out, you'll just have to fuck it."
"What?"
That is an Easter Egg right there. That is cool. That is attention to detail.
The loading screen is a nice bit of detail as well. It's a PS3 controller that reacts to you pressing the buttons. If you move the right analogue stick, the same stick on screen moves the same amount and it tells you what the right stick is used for. That is neat. But it gets old real fast. Because this game loads way too much. I can allow loading between sections, but just barely.
I cannot understand why this game needs to load after you die. Especially since this game has no problem with killing you. I have no problems with dieing a lot. I do have a problem with waiting to start over. That is bullshit, it is a momentum killer. I have no idea how this engine is handling its resources I just know that it is handling them wrong.
I always have a problem with quitting inFAMOUS. There is always something to do and you never have to wait to do any of it. Death hardly means a thing. But I can always quit Bionic Commando. It makes it easy for me to want to.
But I have been boxing. The Fight Night demo is pretty keen. But... I know they are proud of the fact that this is a boxing sim... but I want to knock someone out. I kept playing the three round demo. Sometimes punching myself goofy, other times dodging and weaving and counter punching like a mother fucker. Don't think I ever got close to knocking a dude out.
Unlike the UFC demo where I once knocked a guy out in three punches.
All the trailers for Fight Night show off the close up knock out punches, but the demo hides all that from you. I played Fight Night 1 and 2 and know that those two have insta-knockouts. I have read that this one does as well, but nothing I did triggered it. Even when I went into 2 player and just beat the shit out of a defenseless player 2.
So that was a bit disappointing.
As was the ending to inFAMOUS (or however the fuck you're supposed to spell it). I played through as a good guy, so I've only seen the good ending. It was not a good ending.
Before beating the game I thought that it was a cliched story awkwardly told. Now I know that it is a stupid and cliche story shittily told. The ending just left me cold. The ending drove me to playing Bionic Commando.
Bionic Commando is a fantastic game trapped in a shitty engine.
Not that this game looks bad. This game looks great. It sounds fantastic. And it plays the way Bionic Commando should. It is full of great little touches: it starts with the classic Capcom logo (and associated sound effect) but brings it into the third dimension, the classic theme plays under the title screen but played slowly on just a piano, the theme music gets more and more muffled as you go deeper throught the menus, the hidden icons are all 8 bit icons, and they reflect off of the environment around them.
And this just happened to me today: I met a boss and Nathan 'Rad' Spencer remarked, "Is that a really long health bar or are you just happy to see me?"
Funny. Then there was an exchange between me and Super Joe that went a bit like this:
"There's no way out, you'll have to fight"
"Just the way I like it."
I died. And was treated to an exchange that went like this:
"There's no way out, you'll just have to fuck it."
"What?"
That is an Easter Egg right there. That is cool. That is attention to detail.
The loading screen is a nice bit of detail as well. It's a PS3 controller that reacts to you pressing the buttons. If you move the right analogue stick, the same stick on screen moves the same amount and it tells you what the right stick is used for. That is neat. But it gets old real fast. Because this game loads way too much. I can allow loading between sections, but just barely.
I cannot understand why this game needs to load after you die. Especially since this game has no problem with killing you. I have no problems with dieing a lot. I do have a problem with waiting to start over. That is bullshit, it is a momentum killer. I have no idea how this engine is handling its resources I just know that it is handling them wrong.
I always have a problem with quitting inFAMOUS. There is always something to do and you never have to wait to do any of it. Death hardly means a thing. But I can always quit Bionic Commando. It makes it easy for me to want to.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home