My Life With Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat is accessible, it has always been that way.
Street Fighter is the big daddy of fighters. Yet, I've always found them very, very difficult. It only took five million Street Fighter games later, and I can finally enjoy and play a version of Street Fighter on the 3DS that is accessible. Not that I hate SF. I love the world, characters and crappy movies. It's just the games are HARD.
Not so with Mortal Kombat or Dead or Alive. Sure Mortal Kombat has all the fatalities and Dead or Alive has the hotties, but they are accessible. I've bought MK and DOA games all my life. Street Fighter IV on the 3DS is the first SF game I've purchased besides the iPod Touch version which I scored for 99 cents.
Back to MK.
I picked up MK VS DC for 20 bucks on the PS3. I've played it in the past, when Tyler picked it up. It's fun. Worth 20 bucks. The new "reboot" MK game is coming out very soon for the next gen consoles. I think T is going to purchase it on day one. I'll wait. Tyler even downloaded the demo for it on my PS3 during a night of drunkin' SingStar spectacle. Crap I didn't even know he had it set for download until it finished. I haven't played it yet sadly. I hear it's quite awesome.
My life with MK started in the 1990's, with the arcade games, specifically MK I and II. Playing the games in the arcade was awesome and exciting. The first console I bought for myself was a SNES, and when MK II console launch day happened, I purchased both MK I and II for the system. MK II for the SNES was amazing. It was near arcade perfect. SNES owners bragged about owning it, finally, especially after the MK I no blood situation. Oh, Nintendo... Will you ever learn?!?!?
Then the movie and that awesome techno dance album came out around the same time. The first movie is fun stuff. A little dated, but it worked. It was a real, honest to goodness MK movie. You know how the Street Fighter movies are never about street fighting? Well the MK movie is a MK movie. It worked. It was fun. I never saw the sequel, which I assume is a good thing. Today, the web series launched. I hear that as is great stuff as well.
I'm actually writing this listen to that old techno, MK album. Oh glorious, goofy fun. MORTAL KOMBAT!
Next fighter retrospective, DEAD OR ALIVE. I'll write that around May 24th, my birthday and the launch of the 3DS edition of DOA. Thank for the present Tecmo! Hmmm... You know what? That DOA movie was a hell of a lot of fun as well!
QUICK UPDATE: The new 2011, MK techno album sucks compared to "The Immortals" 90's album. Just listen to the opening track, "Johnny Cage (Prepare Yourself)" from the original to pump yourself up for the new game! ;)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home