Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Nintendo 3DS North American Launch Titles... Oh, Boy!

I love hardware launches. Console or hand-held alike. The excitement of new technology and all the cool new things the latest and greatest can do.

In a nutshell, hardware launches for video game consoles and hand-held systems this generation have been nothing but unspectacular. They are victims of the times. Content is king. If there is nothing driving your product, then I ain't gonna play it. Period.

This is the first hardware launch in the history of Nintendo, that a Mario nor a Zelda title will not be available on day one. I guess the beginning was foretold during the GameCube era, when the purple lunch box launched with Luigi's Mansion instead of a true Mario title. I loved Luigi's Mansion, it's tons of fun but a launch title it was not.

The 3DS will arrive in stores, in less than a month and there is not one title on that list I want. Here is the official Nintendo launch list -

* Pilotwings Resort™
* Steel Diver™
* nintendogs™ + cats
* Super Street Fighter® IV 3D Edition from CAPCOM
* The Sims™ 3 from EA
* Madden NFL Football from EA SPORTS
* Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D from Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc.
* LEGO® Star Wars® III: The Clone Wars™ from LucasArts™
* RIDGE RACER® 3D from NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc.
* Super Monkey Ball™ 3D from SEGA
* BUST-A-MOVE UNIVERSE™ from Square-Enix, Inc.
* SAMURAI WARRIORS®: Chronicles from TECMO KOEI AMERICA Corp.
* Asphalt™ 3D from UBISOFT
* Combat of Giants™: Dinosaurs 3D from UBISOFT
* Rayman® 3D from UBISOFT
* Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Shadow Wars from UBISOFT


Oh, boy. This is honestly the most unimpressive software launch for a hot ticket item I've seen in recent years.

Is it a sign of the times that Nintendo doesn't need a Mario or Zelda game at launch?

Sadly, yes, they don't need them anymore. They have puppies and Mii's to take care of that business.

Will I get a 3DS?

Yes.

Will I get one on day one?

Probably. Just so I have the hardware when Mario, Link and Snake arrive on the software end of things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home