Monday, January 24, 2005

Flurm

I've admitted in the past that I have a bias towards Nintendo. I'll say it again right now just to make sure that we are all clear on where I stand. I also have an anti-Sony and Microsoft bias. Microsoft because they've been number 1 for so long in computer world that they're not even trying any more. Why does Hotmail still suck? They release buggy product and then blame the users when shit doesn't work. I dislike Sony for very similar reasons. They simply make shit. That's about as plain as I can say it. I do not own any Sony product that currently works. I've purchased plenty of Sony stuff but ain't none of it still working. Their high end stuff works just fine, but the consumer level stuff just blows. Just to be fair, I'll mention that my dad buys plenty of Sony shit and he almost never has problems. Also, I hate how Sony and Microsoft keep trying to force their proprietary shit down our throats. Fuck memory sticks. Fuck them in their overpriced asses.

Here's where I mention that even though I may dislike Microsoft, the DOA series is my favourite bunch of fighters and Halo is just fantastic. I may hate Sony but Ico and Mark of Kri are two of the best games of this generation of machines.

That all was my too-long preamble to this: I've played the PSP. From my very brief hands on time, I can say that I am impressed. That big, beautiful screen is very persuasive. It creates desire in your heart and anxiety in your wallet.

All the menus were in Japanese so I wasn't sure what everything was, but navigating wasn't that hard. The front end wasn't designed by EA, is what I'm trying to say. There weren't no memory stick inserted, so I couldn't do anything other than play the new Ridge racer. But that's okay because the new Ridge Racer was more than enough. Wow. What a gorgeous fucking game. Seeing a game like it on a portable system is pretty damn cool. This thing is a system seller, no doubt about it. And it controls well to boot. I've never been a big racer fan but I picked up on this one pretty quick. I was powersliding by turn three. The whole experience made me want to buy a PSP. Then the rest of my Sony experiences punched me in the brain and I came to my sense. I love Nintendo and the PSP gave me needs. Nintendo had better watch it's back.

Of course I didn't buy a PSP. Because I know better. I didn't buy a Playstation at launch because it didn't have any games I wanted. But I still went through three of the fuckers. I bought a PS2 at launch because I am a moron. It lasted almost two years. My Super Nintendo still works like a dream. I sold my 2nd hand Saturn to Kelly (cuz he's a big Sega freak if you haven't noticed), so I don't know if it is still working. But I'd wager that it is? Why? Cuz my Genisis is still going strong. As is my Dreamcast. If Sony can't make a home system that lasts, why the fuck should I trust them to make a portable system? I can't.

I will buy a PSP at some point. I'll wait for at least one price drop and two hardware revisions, but I will buy one.

And know, since I can't figure out how to finish this post off, I'll just point out that a fair few PSPs have square buttons that stick. Sony's response? Developers will learn to work around it. Thanks Sony.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home