Mad Props
Mad Props to tha Double Ks!!
Nice new show. Made me so very fucking homesick! It made me want to be home, in the shitty, slushy, mushy elements talking shit with Kel and Kath! I was surprised how homesick listening to that show made me.
I'm amazed how many dead pixels the PSPs have. By all accounts, Nintendo rushed everything about the DS. Which, is very unlike Nintendo. Don't get me wrong, I ain't trying to imply that the DS was just thrown together and then tossed out the door. That's not it at all. I mentioned it because even though everyone agrees that it was a very accelerated development process (which might explain the dearth of titles right now), the hardware is still pristine. There are way more DSs out there, but way less dead pixels. There have been rumours of Sony wanting to get into the handheld market since forever. The PSP has been in development for quite some time. Yet there are all these dead pixels. Sony says that dead pixels are just a fact of life when it comes to LCD screens. Which is true, but the PSP really seems to have way more than usual.
To be fair, there are more pixels on the PSP screen than both the DS screens combined. But see, that's the thing: it seems to me that even though Nintendo launched in less time, Sony is the one that rushed things.
Here's what I mean: they obviously haven't worked out all the kinks in mass producing the PSP screens. They could have waited until they got the dead pixel problem more under control. They didn't. The big, beautiful (dead pixel plagued) screen sucks down the juice. They could have made the screen a little smaller and saved some battery life. They didn't. Sony execs say that they are working on more efficient/longer lasting batteries. They could have waited and put these better batteries in the PSP. They didn't. That big, beautiful, buggy screen was/is the sole focus of the PSP. The screen was more important than buttons that worked.
Everyone points to that screen as the PSP's selling point. And I agree. That screen is gorgeous. It nearly makes me forget my many past problems with Sony products. The PSP is sexy as fuck. But I posit that that screen is also the PSP's biggest problem. Every problem people bring up about the PSP is because of that screen. Shit battery life, bad buttons, a preponderance of perished pixels. If Sony had spent another year on the PSP (like I said: refine the manufacturing process, get a better battery), it would have been amazing. Even I would laud it as a DS/GameBoy killer.
But they rushed it.
This post is already plenty long but I might as well mention the movie playback issue while I'm here.
I'm with the K's on this issue. I'm not sure how big a selling point the movie playback truly is. DVD playback in the PS2 was a HUGE factor. The PS2 is the best selling DVD player in New Zealand. But DVD playback makes sense. Everyone needs a DVD player (so goes the logic) so you might as well pick up one that can play games too. Makes sense. But how many people watch movies on the go? And is that number going to dramatically increase in the wake of the PSP's launch? I really don't know.
Like Kath mentioned, you can basically get through one movie and the battery dies. I don't know if the PSP could get the whole way through the extended Return of the King. So that's a factor. Plus, as mentioned on the webshow, there's the time issue. If you've got a couple hours to spare, why not just watch the movie on your TV? Having to buy 2 copies of everything could be a pretty big turn off. Especially since they're going to be launching high def DVD players soon. North Americans, and Asians as well, really seem to enjoy their mindless consumerism, but this might be a bit too much.
Kel, can you tell me how the UMD movies are? In specific, what are the extras? Multiple languages? Deleted scenes? Commentary? How do UMDs stack up against DVDs?
Not that UMDs are the only way to watch video on the PSP. You can store stuff on a memory stick. Fuck are those things expensive. I think that this will be the option that more people choose. Rip the DVD that you already own to the stick and watch it that way. I believe that isn't as hard on the battery as well. This raises legal questions, of course, but I've never really cared for those kind of queries.
I want to write more, mainly about another point that Kel brought up: the ports that the PSP is getting, but I'll save that for later.
I have no idea how to use colons.
Dear god do I love The Go! Team!!!
Nice new show. Made me so very fucking homesick! It made me want to be home, in the shitty, slushy, mushy elements talking shit with Kel and Kath! I was surprised how homesick listening to that show made me.
I'm amazed how many dead pixels the PSPs have. By all accounts, Nintendo rushed everything about the DS. Which, is very unlike Nintendo. Don't get me wrong, I ain't trying to imply that the DS was just thrown together and then tossed out the door. That's not it at all. I mentioned it because even though everyone agrees that it was a very accelerated development process (which might explain the dearth of titles right now), the hardware is still pristine. There are way more DSs out there, but way less dead pixels. There have been rumours of Sony wanting to get into the handheld market since forever. The PSP has been in development for quite some time. Yet there are all these dead pixels. Sony says that dead pixels are just a fact of life when it comes to LCD screens. Which is true, but the PSP really seems to have way more than usual.
To be fair, there are more pixels on the PSP screen than both the DS screens combined. But see, that's the thing: it seems to me that even though Nintendo launched in less time, Sony is the one that rushed things.
Here's what I mean: they obviously haven't worked out all the kinks in mass producing the PSP screens. They could have waited until they got the dead pixel problem more under control. They didn't. The big, beautiful (dead pixel plagued) screen sucks down the juice. They could have made the screen a little smaller and saved some battery life. They didn't. Sony execs say that they are working on more efficient/longer lasting batteries. They could have waited and put these better batteries in the PSP. They didn't. That big, beautiful, buggy screen was/is the sole focus of the PSP. The screen was more important than buttons that worked.
Everyone points to that screen as the PSP's selling point. And I agree. That screen is gorgeous. It nearly makes me forget my many past problems with Sony products. The PSP is sexy as fuck. But I posit that that screen is also the PSP's biggest problem. Every problem people bring up about the PSP is because of that screen. Shit battery life, bad buttons, a preponderance of perished pixels. If Sony had spent another year on the PSP (like I said: refine the manufacturing process, get a better battery), it would have been amazing. Even I would laud it as a DS/GameBoy killer.
But they rushed it.
This post is already plenty long but I might as well mention the movie playback issue while I'm here.
I'm with the K's on this issue. I'm not sure how big a selling point the movie playback truly is. DVD playback in the PS2 was a HUGE factor. The PS2 is the best selling DVD player in New Zealand. But DVD playback makes sense. Everyone needs a DVD player (so goes the logic) so you might as well pick up one that can play games too. Makes sense. But how many people watch movies on the go? And is that number going to dramatically increase in the wake of the PSP's launch? I really don't know.
Like Kath mentioned, you can basically get through one movie and the battery dies. I don't know if the PSP could get the whole way through the extended Return of the King. So that's a factor. Plus, as mentioned on the webshow, there's the time issue. If you've got a couple hours to spare, why not just watch the movie on your TV? Having to buy 2 copies of everything could be a pretty big turn off. Especially since they're going to be launching high def DVD players soon. North Americans, and Asians as well, really seem to enjoy their mindless consumerism, but this might be a bit too much.
Kel, can you tell me how the UMD movies are? In specific, what are the extras? Multiple languages? Deleted scenes? Commentary? How do UMDs stack up against DVDs?
Not that UMDs are the only way to watch video on the PSP. You can store stuff on a memory stick. Fuck are those things expensive. I think that this will be the option that more people choose. Rip the DVD that you already own to the stick and watch it that way. I believe that isn't as hard on the battery as well. This raises legal questions, of course, but I've never really cared for those kind of queries.
I want to write more, mainly about another point that Kel brought up: the ports that the PSP is getting, but I'll save that for later.
I have no idea how to use colons.
Dear god do I love The Go! Team!!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home