Saturday, June 11, 2005

Post E3 Post

I didn't have internet at all for E3, so the energy, the hustle, the shock and awe; none of that made it to me. I just came along a week later and picked at the carcass.

This is not a definitive list of all the best games coming out, these are just some of the ones that caught my eye.

As with all my lists, the following are in no particular order:

Even though I doubt it's veracity, that Killzone 2 trailer did look pretty good. Most of the complaints about the original sounded more like complaints about PS2's aging hardware, with new fancy hardware this one should be much improved.

Gears of War for the 360 was not near as impressive visually, when compared to Killzone 2, but I think that made me more exited about Gears of War. It looks real. Not real as in "That could happen in real life", but real as in "That totally looks like something I'll actually be able to play in a few months time." I like to shoot things.

Which segues nicely into John Woo's Stranglehold. Fuck yeah! The models look a bit odd, and I have some other reservations, but: Fuck yeah! A game where I get to star as Chow Yun Fat? Better yet, Chow Yun Fat as Tequila? I own this game already, it just doesn't know it yet.

Okami: why isn't this game coming to the Gamecube? Or, better yet, the DS? It looks like a perfect fit for Nintendo's hardware and, more importantly, for Nintendo's sensibilities.

Stubbs the Zombie sounds like it will be a lot of fun. Playing as the zombie is just a great idea. But from all the video and screens I've seen, this game doesn't look that hot to me. Certainly doesn't look like it's using the Halo engine. But whatever, gameplay trumps graphics.

This ain't so much a game, but Square announcing that it is developing for the 360 was kinda big news. But why ain't Final Fantasy XI coming to the Revolution?

While I'm not talking about specific games, may I add my voice to all the others admiring how small and sexy the GBA Micro is. So small. So sexy.

I forget their names, but the lawyer and doctor games coming to the DS look like great fun. They are both out here all ready, but I wouldn't understand word goddamn one of either. I'll pick 'em up in English. So the PSP has nice looking racers, does it have lawyer games? Doctor games?

The new Burnout looks great, but the EA influence is making me a bit cautious. I don't need a new Burnout every year. How long before there's a Burnout burnout?

Speaking of Criterion/EA games, I'm getting really impatient about Black. Two E3s in a row, it has been showed behind closed doors. Both years those who have born witness have drooled all over their keyboard trying to describe it. God damn man, I want to see this shit for myself. I want to see the massive destruction: the chunks, the sparks, the explosions, the smoke, the debris. Stop telling me how awesome this game is, SHOW ME!! Which is not to say I doubt the veracity of these reports. Burnout is exactly what I want out of a racer. That's not true, Mario Kart is EXACTLY what I want out of a racer, Burnout is exactly what I want out of any non-kart racing game. They took what I love most about racers and multiplied it by a lot. I don't doubt that they will do the same for shooters. I likes to shoot things.

Which is why Full Auto sounds so great. In a nutshell: Burnout with guns. My response, in a nutshell: yes please!

Just because I take shots at it whenever I can, that don't mean I ain't looking forward to some of the games coming out on the PSP. The Con totally has my interest piqued. A fighting game where you also bet on the fights you take part in. With a deep fighter creator mode. With wireless fighting, where only one copy of the game is needed. Damnit, I might have to pick up a PSP.

Luckily, they also showed off Daxter for the PSP. I hate Daxter. I really fucking hate that little orange fucker. He's supposed to be funny but just comes across as fucking annoying. I. Cannot. Fucking. Stand. Daxter. Fuck this game!

Especially when all your platforming needs are being serviced in the most pleasurable way possible on the DS. New Super Mario Bros! First real 2D Mario game in forever. Ain't no way I'm gonna miss out on that creamy 2D 3D action. Plus the Sonic DS game looks hella sweet. I've always enjoyed Sonic way more in 2D, this game looks to continue that trend. Another Castlevania game too. God, I love my DS.

Not near as much announced for the Cube, but I really want to get my hands on that there Odama. Sounds good and wierd.

The two new Mario Sports titles just look like fun. Especially the Soccer one. Looks like Sega Soccer Slam but even more fun. Leave it to Nintendo to make me want to buy sports games.

The Conan MMORPG sounds interesting, but the trailer didn't look all that crash hot to me. One of these days, I'll have to try out one of these MMORPGs.

The trailer for Total Overdose also didn't fill me with glee. All the previews say the game uses a simple, striking style. I say it looks like the pedestrian models from the GTA games got together again for this one. That ain't a good thing. The models look poor. But the game sounds fun. Punching and kicking and shooting and flipping and driving and Tony Hawk style combos sounds like a great package. I just wish the wrapping looked nicer.

Condemned: Criminal Intent looks like it will be a bunch of brutal fun. First person fighters aren't all that common yet. This one could either be kinda crap like Breakdown, or viscerally vicious like Riddick. Despite their recent missteps, I'm sure Sega will knock this one out of the park. Welcome back Sega. Don't fuck up.

Speaking of first person action, Perfect Dark 2 looks...
I like what I'm hearing about the game, about the modes it will offer, about the mulitiplayer, about the single player, I'm liking everything I'm hearing. I just don't like the look of it. I just don't. It looks like a Timesplitters game, but without the charm.

Dead rising looks good, but sounds bad. I don't mean the idea sounds bad, the voice over sounds bad. Just a bad voice actor. And he butchers really bad dialogue. But then there's footage of the main character taking a roto-tiller into a crowd of zombies. A big crowd of zombies. There's a lot of enemies onscreen in this one.

This is not by design, but DOA4 is the last game on this little list of mine. I love the DOA games. It looks like I'm gonna love the hell out of this one too. The graphics haven't taken a giant leap, but the environments have. I've always wanted to play in traffic, now I will finally have my chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home