Next Time On Phantasy Star Universe...
Welcome back, old friend.
Phantasy Star Universe is not old. I've owned the game since it was released in the fall of 2006 but never tackled it. Like most gamers, I was easily side tracked onto something else. I began to play the title when I got my hands on Phantasy Star Portable. I consider it to be the third chapter within the series. Here's my break down...
Chapter 1 - Phantasy Star Zero to IV
Chapter 2 - Phantasy Star Online Episodes I to IV
Chapter 3 - Phantasy Star Universe 1 & 2, Phantasy Star Portable
It's like revisiting an old friend. Back in the Dreamcast era, I played the crap out of Phantasy Star ONLINE. I put ONLINE in BOLD because I played the crap out of it with players around the globe on the internets. It was new, exciting and free to play online. I discovered the original turn based, story epics of the Master System/Genesis later on and enjoyed them as well.
PSU is a union between the game play mechanics and customization of PSO and the grand storytelling of the original games. You play as Ethan Waber, a young member of the GUARDIAN forces protecting the galaxy and discovering the mysterious origins of an invasion force known as the SEED.
I'm loving this experience and one quick note. The game is very cinematic. There are cut scenes, spoken dialogue, beautiful music and teaser trailers before the next chapter loads up. A big narrator kicks in...
"NEXT TIME ON PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSE..."
And it's like... AWESOME! It's like playing mini-movies.
I'm having a blast!
Phantasy Star Universe is not old. I've owned the game since it was released in the fall of 2006 but never tackled it. Like most gamers, I was easily side tracked onto something else. I began to play the title when I got my hands on Phantasy Star Portable. I consider it to be the third chapter within the series. Here's my break down...
Chapter 1 - Phantasy Star Zero to IV
Chapter 2 - Phantasy Star Online Episodes I to IV
Chapter 3 - Phantasy Star Universe 1 & 2, Phantasy Star Portable
It's like revisiting an old friend. Back in the Dreamcast era, I played the crap out of Phantasy Star ONLINE. I put ONLINE in BOLD because I played the crap out of it with players around the globe on the internets. It was new, exciting and free to play online. I discovered the original turn based, story epics of the Master System/Genesis later on and enjoyed them as well.
PSU is a union between the game play mechanics and customization of PSO and the grand storytelling of the original games. You play as Ethan Waber, a young member of the GUARDIAN forces protecting the galaxy and discovering the mysterious origins of an invasion force known as the SEED.
I'm loving this experience and one quick note. The game is very cinematic. There are cut scenes, spoken dialogue, beautiful music and teaser trailers before the next chapter loads up. A big narrator kicks in...
"NEXT TIME ON PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSE..."
And it's like... AWESOME! It's like playing mini-movies.
I'm having a blast!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home